Documentation Requirements

To combat metal theft, the State of Texas enforces strict regulations for metal recyclers. Green Guy Recycling complies with these laws, and is registered with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) as a metal recycling entity. Many of these requirements are fulfilled behind the scenes; however, several regulations apply to the sellers of scrap metal. See our list of documentation requirements below to help make the process as simple as possible. If you’re in need of any additional help, please contact us!

General Scrap Metal General Scrap Metal

The Texas Department of Public Safety’s Texas Metal Program regulates metal recycling entities. For a metal recycling company to purchase metal, the seller must present a valid driver’s license or government issued photo ID for the transaction. With the exception of aluminum cans, Green Guy Recycling must have a copy of the seller’s ID for all metal sales.


Central A/C Unit Central A/C Units

The Texas DPS further regulates selling central A/C units. The seller of this material must present one of the following:

1. A valid HVAC Technician or Contractor license issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

2. A sales receipt from either the scrap A/C unit or for one that replaced it.

Junk Cars Junk Vehicles

The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Texas DPS require that metal recycling companies only purchase a junked vehicle if the seller presents a title with the vehicle. The title must be clear of any liens and needs to be signed on the back by the owner.If you do not have a title, we can help you get the proper paperwork to legally sell your vehicle. If the title was transferred into your name, but was lost, you need to apply for a Certified Copy of the Title. If the vehicle was not transferred into your name, you need to apply for a Certificate to Demolish.To apply, please print, fill out, and mail the application to the DMV. If you would like help with these applications, or have any questions, please call Green Guy Recycling.



Green Guy Recycling is required by the Texas DMV to obtain a clear title for any titled trailer. To check the title status of your trailer, please have the trailer vehicle identification number (VIN) or plate number available and call Green Guy Recycling.

Boats Metal Boats

Many boats are made out of metal and can be purchased by Green Guy Recycling. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) requires that titled boats can only be purchased if the seller presents a title. Boats that are less than 14 feet long and have no motor are exempt. Canoes and kayaks without motors are also exempt. To check the title status of your boat, please have the TX number available and give us a call!